Two of the three Buttercup squash that we thought had come out unscathed from the borer debacle had small holes or indentations near the stem end. One of them had a less suspicious indentation where it looked like the stem had only been damaged, but the other one looked more suspect. Because of conflicting information in reference books and online information I wasn’t sure if it was better to cure certain squash indoors or out. I didn’t think it was warm enough inside so I put them on the step. I’m glad I did, as it proved a little too warm for a borer that I saw escaping from the stem area of the squash! Gross, and game over for that squash. I haven’t checked the second Buttercup, but it’s been moved outside in case it also has an occupant.
Also, I mentioned some posts ago that I thought that the squash we planted (pictured at left) was supposed to be Table Queen acorn squash, but it looked like a zucchini. Then after some sleuthing online, we’ve learned that the squash are actually Delicata! We have not had this squash before, so this should be interesting. Also, we found a couple of very young acorn squash starting. Hopefully we’ll have a few more rounds of warmer weather in the coming weeks for these to mature.