As of August 12, 2011 we have grown 88 pounds of produce. The bar graph below shows the produce by the pound. We don’t choose what we grow based on weight, but rather go for a variety. The ones with just a few ounces don’t show up, but we hope some of those lines will increase – especially the green beans! Between the freakish weather and the various insect problems it wasn’t a normal growing season. But we’re thankful for what has done well. We still have the bulk of our tomatoes (still mostly green), the green beans, and various squash, melons, and potatoes to harvest. The peppers, amaranth, and sunflowers have not done well at all. I’ll do one more of these graph summaries at the end of the season. More detailed updates are below the graph.
- We saw that another squash vine is wilting – this time I think due to the cucumber beetle. How frustrating.
- The cucumbers ironically are still doing very well! It sounds like Mutti wants us to can sweet relish next.
- Seeds for Table Queen Acorn turned out to be a summer squash. It’s not what we wanted, but we might get something from the vines if the beetles leave it alone.
- Three midget cantaloupe are near picking stage!
- Potato leaves are in varying stages of dying back – so harvest is soon!
- The Love Lies Bleeding Amaranth did not do well. We suspect that it’s because it was near where the Red Oak stump was ground up and we didn’t know Red Oak is allelopathic. Some coneflowers have died on that spot and I had to move others. I read that gooseberry or currants might be able to stand that environment but I’m not sure.
- Some of the buckwheat are starting to flower! I doubt we’ll get the full mature seed head this season, but we’ll see.
- The sunchokes and sunflowers are all leaf and no bloom. I didn’t know sunflowers were allelopathic to other plants, so I have some reading to do. The good news on sunchokes is we planted them for their tubers, so flowers would be an added bonus.