More Pallet Trellis Fun!

wooden pallet trellis for squash

Pallet Trellis for Squash

We’ve been busy working in the yard. This evening we finished two more trellises made from pallets. The first one (pictured) was made from pallets that matched lengthwise, so I could nail the ends with board. We simply used board I had removed from other trellises with a crowbar and hammer. I also used some thin strips of lath that a generous neighbor gave us. These went together easily, but it helped to have Mutti hold the pallets on their sides while I hammered. We intend this one for squash as it had wider gaps between slats for the fruit to grow.

The second trellis is for cucumbers. The pallets didn’t match length wise so instead of nailing boards on the sides we used a middle weight wire to attach their tops together. I would say, if you’re looking for pallets for a similar project to bring a tape measure to be sure the lengths are the same. I had found these on Craiglist for free and then had more given to us directly by a local business. But, if I were to go looking again I would be patient to find ones that matched as it makes assembly much easier and neater looking. Unlike the first cucumber trellis we shared on a previous post, the slats on our new one run vertically. We will watch to see if there’s any difference for growing on the vertical or ladder type. We’ll report on that when we know.

We still have a few more trellises that we’d like to assemble, and will be saving a couple of the stronger ones for a later wood pile project.

Advertisements
This entry was posted in Garden, Pallet Projects, Reuse Item Ideas and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

2 Responses to More Pallet Trellis Fun!

  1. Crystal says:

    Was wondering if you would use the same for peas?

    • We’ve typically used criss-crossed twine tied to arched supports over the beds for our peas, because they like the texture to grab onto. If chicken wire was attached or something it could easily climb, it might work. I am abandoning the chicken wire for the cukes this next year, as the cukes often got caught between the wire and the wood on the underside. Otherwise it was fine.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s